Calling women filmmakers
As part of our continued dedication to promote gender parity in documentary filmmaking, Glassbreaker Films is launching its second year, and inviting proposals from female filmmakers, directors and producers for WIP funding. Work-in-Progress (WIP) funding gives filmmakers the ability to produce a piece that provides a look at the story, characters and style of a proposed feature length nonfiction film.
Glassbreaker Films WIP grants provide up to $10,000 to women documentary filmmakers who have a unique story to tell, and are ready to create a WIP that will showcase their storytelling ability to secure financial support for full production.
We accept applications on a rolling basis, with the first deadline for applications Jan. 31, 2018. As part of the grant, Glassbreaker Films supports our grantees with professional development opportunities.
You can apply if you own the copyright of your production and maintain editorial control of your story and you are a citizen or legal resident of the U.S. or its external territories age 18 or older.
WHO WE FUND: We support and encourage women filmmakers to produce stories about issues that impact women in the United States.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
- Broadcast or impactful digital potential through suitability of subject matter and compelling storytelling
- Powerful narratives around issues that affect women
- Relevance to a broad audience
- The capacity to finish the project through realistic attention to the schedule and budget.
- Previous film or television production experience in a principal production role as director, co-director, producer or co-producer.
- Filmmakers that have a clear commitment to engage with organizations to access funding
A little more about us: Glassbreaker Films is a female filmmaker initiative launched by the Helen Gurley Brown Foundation. We are dedicated to supporting women to be leaders in non-fiction filmmaking by funding films that tell great stories and inspire audiences. To learn more, and to view previous work, check out our website: glassbreakerfilms.org and follow us on Instagram: @glassbreakerfilms.
In addition to the WIP funding described here, the initiative also includes funding for early-career filmmakers through our Catalyst Grants; and funding for the production of feature length documentaries through our WID (Women in Docs) program.
To apply, please fill out this form by Jan. 31.
Questions? Please contact WID Director, Elisa Gambino, at email@example.com.